Chicken Rendang: a delectable Malaysian-Indonesian chicken stew made with spices and coconut milk. It is exceptionally delicious, and this is the most delicate rendang recipe I’ve ever had!
Recently, a significant rendang issue happened when the Master Chef UK judges stated that chicken rendang should have crispy skin, infuriating Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia and turning the event into a social media war.
As a Malaysian food blogger, I’d like to point out that crispy skin should never occur in chicken rendang, or any rendang for that matter, such as beef rendang or lamb rendang. In addition, the rendang sauce is applied to the skin at all times!
I’ve got the ultimate chicken rendang recipe for you right here. Rendang is an Indonesian dish that is exceptionally famous and well-liked in Malaysia.
My chicken rendang recipe provides tasty and tender chicken with a complex flavor structure and the rich aroma of exotic spices from the slow cooking process and stewing in the rendang sauce.
At home, I enjoy making chicken rendang. While preparing and cooking the dish takes some effort, the end product is well worth it.
When I bite into the chicken, the flavor instantly brings me back to Malaysia, where I grew up. Enjoy!
How many calories are there per serving?
There are just 383 calories per serving of this meal.
What are some ideas for serving this recipe?
I offer the following recipes for a healthy supper and a quick midweek dinner.
- 1 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, sliced into cubes (0.6 kg)
- 1/3 cup oil for cooking
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 3 garlic cloves.
- Anise with three stars
- 3 pods cardamom
- 1 lemongrass, pounded and sliced into strips (just the white portion).
- 1 quart of coconut milk
- 1 quart of water
- 5 leaves of kaffir lime (bruised)
- 5 tablespoons toasted grated coconut (kerisik)
- 1 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
- season with salt to taste
PASTE OF SPICES:
- 6 shallots
- 1-inch (2 cm) of galangal
- 3 lemongrass stalks (white part only).
- 4 garlic cloves.
- 1 inch peeled ginger root
- 10 dried chiles, seeded chili Arbol.
How to cook: CHICKEN RENDANG
- 1. Use a food processor to mix all of the spice paste ingredients. Blend thoroughly.
- 2. Heat the oil and whisk in the spice paste, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and cardamom pods in a skillet until fragrant.
- 3. Stir in the chicken and lemongrass to thoroughly blend the flavors.
- 4. Stir in the coconut milk and water, and cook, often stirring, until the chicken is almost done.
- 5. Stir in the kaffir lime leaves and toasted coconut until everything is completely combined with the chicken.
- 6. Reduce to low heat and cover, wait for 30 minutes and observe until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid has evaporated.
- 7. Season and adjust the amount of sugar and salt as needed. Serve it right away.