KEK LAPIS: INDONESIAN LAYER CAKE
Indonesian Layer Dessert (Kek Lapis) is a distinctive cake that incorporates spices to impart a delicious aroma. It is a vibrant cake that is simple to prepare.
I vividly recall how my friends and I anticipate the delicious treats given around the Lunar New Year. The Kek Lapis, or Indonesian Layer Cake, is our favorite.
Due to the high cost of this cake, we only get to enjoy it on extremely exceptional occasions. As a dedicated baker, I vowed to learn how to make Kek Lapis regardless of the circumstances.
Kek Lapis is a distinctive dessert that incorporates spices to impart a pleasant aroma. It is a rich cake with a high egg and butter content. As a result, it is frequently served in tiny portions.
Making Kek Lapis is a time-consuming process, but the effort is well worth it when you see the lovely layers of the cake, even more so when we witness our friends and family members savoring every piece.
- 340 g (12 oz) butter
- 2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 20 yolks of eggs
- 5 oz. (141 g) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 oz. (56 g) sifted superfine flour
- 1.5 teaspoon all-spice
- 2 tbsp brandy, if desired
- Prepare a 6 inch (13 cm) cake pan by lining and greasing it. Preheat the oven (preferably 380 degrees Fahrenheit or 193 degrees Celsius).
- Cream the butter and condensed milk until creamy. Set aside.
- In a separate dish, whisk the egg yolks and confectioners’ sugar until light and thick.
- Incorporate the butter into the egg yolk mixture.
- Finally, in two batches, mix in sifted flour until blended. Include brandy.
- Switch the oven to the grill setting— preheat the oven to 1 minute.
- Spread a small spoon (about 2.5 oz. /70 g) batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 5 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and repeat the process with the remaining batter for the second layer. Rep the procedure.
- After completing the final layer, switch the oven to the bake setting. Aluminum foil the top of the cake and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Cool on a wire rack after.