This is the most incredible homemade recipe for Lunar New Year Peanut Cookies. This simple peanut cookie recipe only requires six (6) ingredients and is incredibly crumbly and delectable!
I spent my childhood assisting my late aunt in preparing hundreds of peanut cookies, shaping them into round balls.
Following that, I formed the circle pattern on top of each biscuit with a toothpaste cap.
The final stage was brushing egg wash over the tops of the cookies with a Chinese calligraphy brush.
Peanut butter cookies are crumbly and oh-so-addictive. Once I begin eating, I am unable to stop.
In Malaysia, peanut cookies are a traditional Chinese New Year cookie. Ho Siew Loon donated this recipe for peanut cookies.
The recipe requires six (6) primary ingredients:
- Roasted peanuts, ground
- Flour for all purposes
- Oil extracted from peanuts
- Sugar in Powdered Form
- the yolk of an egg or an egg wash
Combine the ground peanuts, flour, sugar, and peanut oil to make the dough. Form the dough into little balls and adorn the tops with a sprinkle of sugar and a brush of egg wash.
Peanut biscuits are not the healthiest food, but they are too delicious.
As is customary during the Lunar New Year, indulge and pair them with a cup of Chinese tea. This recipe has a low-calorie count of 308 calories per serving.
- 4 cup roasted peanuts, ground
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 cup oil de peanut
- 2 tsp. shortening
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- Combine the ground peanuts, sugar, oil, shortening, and flour in a large mixing bowl until completely incorporated. Shape into little balls and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Using the cap of your toothpaste, create a small circle pattern on the top of the peanut cookies. Carefully place the lid onto the top of each biscuit to complete the circle.
- Brush the tops of the peanut cookies with the egg wash and bake until brown (preferably 350°F for 20 minutes).
- Allow cooling after removing from the oven. Peanut cookies can be stored in an airtight container for two weeks.