CHICKEN WITH CHINESE BROCCOLI & MUSHROOMS
Tender chicken breast and sweet, crisp gai lan (Chinese broccoli) shine in this flavorful stir-fry made with Chinese broccoli and chicken breast.
We’ve also added metric measurements, upgraded the written directions, and revised the nutritional data in this new and much better edition. Enjoy!
CHICKEN AND MARINADE
- 1 12 ounces of boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce
REST OF THE RECIPE:
- 12 ounces of thoroughly washed Chinese broccoli
- 4 ounces of fresh oyster mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 slices of ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine
- 2 teaspoons of light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon of white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of sesame oil
- Using a mandolin or other sharp object, slice the chicken against the grain until it is very thin. Add the water, cornstarch, vegetable oil, and oyster sauce to the cut chicken. The marinated ingredients should be massaged into the chicken until there is no remaining liquid. Begin by prepping your other ingredients and putting this dish away for 15-20 minutes.
- Trim the Chinese broccoli’s ends and then cut the stalks into smaller pieces after they’ve been washed. Snip stems in half as you separate leaves. Set aside the oyster mushrooms after they have been roughly torn. Slice the shiitake mushrooms if using. Do not forget to get your ginger and garlic ready as well.
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken stock, white pepper, sugar, and sesame oil with the light soy sauce, oyster sauce, and oyster sauce. Set away for a later time.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok or large pot of water. Add the greens to the boiling water and cook for 30 to 45 seconds. Remove from the wok as quickly as possible using a strainer or slotted spoon, and be sure to thoroughly drain any remaining liquid.
- When the wok begins to smoke, remove it from the fire and allow it to cool. To coat the wok’s surface, add 1 tablespoon of oil and spread it out evenly. Sear the chicken for 20-30 seconds on one side after adding it to the pan in a single layer. Flip and sear the other side for around 20-30 seconds on the other side. Remove the chicken from the wok and continue to stir-fry for another 10-15 seconds. Set away for a later time.
- Add another tablespoon of oil and the ginger to the wok and lower the heat to medium low. Cook for one minute. Deglaze the wok with 2 tablespoons of water, the mushrooms, and the garlic over high heat. Add the Shaoxing wine and stir-fry for a minute over high heat. Add another minute of cooking time.
- Sauce mixture should be brought to a simmer before serving. To thicken the sauce, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. The sauce should thicken in about 15 seconds.
- Chicken and greens should be mixed together before being added to the thickened sauce. To ensure that everything is well-coated with the sauce, continue stirring for a further 30 seconds. Serve at once.