CHINESE BEEF STIR-FRY WITH YOUTIAO
A very, very, very Chinese dish is this Chinese Beef Stir-Fry with You Tiao!
Hangzhou, Ningbo, and Shaoxing are all cities in Zhejiang province, which is known for its food. If the name Shaoxing rings a bell, it is the place where Shaoxing wine was first produced. Dong Po Rou Braised Pig Belly is one of our favorite pork recipes from Hangzhou, which is only an hour from Shanghai.
This Chinese Beef Stir-Fry with You Tiao was so delicious that it overshadowed everything else we ate that night! It’s also not a surprise!
It’s safe to assume that it had an impact. Since you won’t be able to find this in the United States unless you believe what our insider says, why not try making it yourself?
- 340g of flank steak
- 2 pieces of you tiao
- ½ cup of beef stock
- 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of minced shallot or red onion
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of chopped scallion
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of Zhenjiang black vinegar
- Mix the beef, 1 tbsp. cornstarch, a pinch of baking soda, and 2 tbsp. oil in a bowl. Stir to combine. Afterward, allow the beef to come to room temperature for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Spread out your you tiao (Chinese fried dough) on a sheet pan and cut it into 2-inch pieces. Bake at 300 degrees F for 8 minutes, or until they begin to brown and crisp up a bit.
- In a wok, heat the oil until it’s almost smoking, then sprinkle it about the wok. Toss in the steak and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until it’s browned and cooked. Take out of the wok and place aside to cool.
- Another tablespoon of oil and sugar should be added to the wok over medium-low heat. Once the sugar has dissolved, pour in the shallots and cook for a few minutes. Pour in the soy sauces and vinegar after around 2 to 3 minutes. Once the liquid has come to a simmer, add the beef and any remaining juices from the bowl and heat through.
- The sauce should be thick enough to coat a spoon when the cornstarch and water mixture is gently added to the cooking beef and sauce.
- Bring everything together for about 20 seconds to cover everything with the sauce before adding the toasted fried dough. Serve with toasted sesame seeds and scallions on a platter. Serve over a bed of fluffy white rice, steamed just till tender.