SESAME-CRUSTED CHINESE RIBS
The sesame-crusted Chinese ribs are one of my best recent innovations. When paired with savory Asian spices, baby back pig ribs are a great, winning dish that can be enjoyed with a cold beverage or some stir-fried baby bok choy or garlicky broccoli as a side.
The red fermented bean curd and five-spice powder in this baby back ribs recipe bring out the Chinese flavors. As soon as they’re combined, these components provide a taste unlike anything else on the market today.
People, give this dish a whirl and enjoy it with a nice drink in hand!
Unlike the first pork ribs dish we ever posted on the blog, these oven-baked baby back ribs have a distinct flavor comparable to one of our first Chinese pig ribs recipes (this fried spareribs).
Traditionally, fried baby back ribs were the first to be devoured at gatherings, and I do not doubt this new recipe will be just as popular. The sesame seeds and panko are designed to soak up the marinade and create a crispy, luxurious, and delicious coating.
- 1 large piece of fermented red bean curd(about 1 tbsp.)
- 2 tsp. of Shaoxing wine
- 1/8 tsp. of white pepper
- 1/4 tsp. of Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1 tsp. of sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp. of soy sauce
- 1 1/2 lb. of baby back ribs (cut into individual pieces)
- 3 tbsp. of panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. of toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp. of coarse sea salt
- Cilantro or chopped scallions for garnish
- White pepper, five-spice powder, garlic powder, sugar, and soy sauce should all be mixed with the fermented bean paste in a big bowl. For best results, marinate the ribs overnight or for two hours if you’re short on time, but don’t overdo it.
- Set your oven to 400 degrees F and line a sheet pan with heavy-duty foil for easy cleanup when you’re ready to cook the ribs. Make sure the ribs are marinating for a few more minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the panko, sesame seeds, and salt. Spritz each rib lightly with the panko mixture and lay on a baking sheet. Top the ribs with the rest of the panko mixture.
- Close the oven door and immediately lower the temperature to 325 degrees F. Place the ribs in the center of the oven. 25 minutes in the oven. Wrap each rib in a layer of aluminum foil and place it on a baking pan. Serve with cilantro or scallions after baking for another 30 minutes.