COCONUT PEANUT MOCHI
Mochi is a well-known confection made from sticky rice that is popular throughout Asia. It’s little wonder that this Peanut Mochi with Coconut, or Nuo Mi Ci (糯米糍), is so popular—gluten-free, vegan, and delicious.
The classic Coconut Peanut Mochi recipe calls for a small amount of coconut oil to moisten the filling, which helps keep the filling together a little better than the original recipe.
Remember that the coconut oil may solidify during the colder months and require melting.
This is how to make coconut peanut mochi, so let’s get right in!
- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups of sweet rice flour
- 1 ½ cups of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil
- A large piece of wax paper
- 1 cup of coarsely chopped coconut flakes
- 16 small paper cupcake cups
- To avoid sticking, lightly oil a square 11″ x 11″ flat-bottomed cake pan and leave it aside. The 11″ X 11″ cake pan produces the ideal amount of dough thickness for this recipe. Although you will need to roll out the dough a little bit when building the mochi, other sized pans will also work. Water should be added to your steamer and brought to a boil.
- Mix the sweet rice flour, cornstarch, caster sugar, coconut milk, and melted coconut oil thoroughly in a large bowl. To distribute the mixture uniformly, transfer it to the prepared cake pan and give it a light tap on a table. Steam the dough mixture over high heat for 15 minutes once the steamer’s water comes to a boil. Allow it to finish cooling.
- The filling is prepared by mixing the chopped peanuts, coconut flakes, sugar, and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Place it aside.
- After the dough has cooled, roll it out and cut it into 16 equal squares before placing it on a big sheet of wax paper or a lightly greased clean counter. One tablespoon of filling should be placed in the center of a piece of dough before pinching the dough together. The coconut flakes are rolled in to coat. Repeat until all the mochi are put together, then place in a paper cupcake cup.