HAWAIIAN SHRIMP FRIED RICE WITH PINEAPPLE
If you enjoy cooking while on vacation, renting a condo is a terrific option. And, yes, call us crazy, but we dig the sound. By the time the last day of the month rolls around, I’ve realized that I’ve overestimated the amount of food that I’ll need. Thanks to my near-perfect mastery at developing dishes from leftovers, we were able to make this Hawaiian shrimp fried rice.
There we go…
A bag of organic wild rice, a few frozen shelled edamame, and some lettuce and half a bag of shrimp were all left over from a quick breakfast. Yeah, rice. Rice with a side of fried chicken. Fried rice with Hawaiian Shrimp… Fried rice with pineapple and prawns from Hawaii…
- 1 pound of peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cups of uncooked rice
- 2 cups of shredded Romaine or iceberg lettuce
- ¼ cup of diced scallions
- 2/3 cup of finely diced fresh pineapple
- ½ cup of frozen shelled edamame
- Salt and pepper
- Soy sauce
- Follow the instructions and quantities on the rice box to prepare it, but reduce the water just a little. The rice should be a little bit more firm and less moist for fried rice. Making this ahead of time will give the rice time to cool because it is much simpler to handle when it is cool or only slightly heated. When the rice has cooled, fluff it with a fork to remove any clumps. Cut the onion into dice (the original recipe called for onion). If we had it, we would have used it!), pineapple, scallions, and set aside.
- whirl the eggs. After that, scramble the eggs in a pan, cut them into pieces with a spatula, and set the pan aside.
- I cooked two batches because I didn’t have a large pan or wok at the condo. Scallion/onion, shrimp, and a teaspoon of oil are added to a hot pan. For around 30 seconds, stir-fry. Edamame or any other veggies should be added in with the shrimp if you prefer to do so.
- Give the mixture a vigorous swirl after adding the rice to help the rice heat up. Add salt, pepper, and soy sauce now, to taste. Stir-fry the food for a few minutes longer.
- Stir-fry the ingredients—eggs, lettuce, and pineapple—adding them as you go for a few minutes more. If necessary, taste and adjust the seasoning. Remove from the heat and serve.