A few reliable one-pan recipes should be a staple in everyone’s arsenal. An easy dish that requires little time in the kitchen and even less washing up. One of my go-to methods is to prepare food that can be served with rice.
The Oyakodon, a traditional Japanese rice bowl dish consisting of steamed chicken, eggs, and onions, is one of the best “over rice” recipes you can make with only nine ingredients.
A Simple Japanese Recipe
Oyakodon is seasoned with mirin, soy sauce, and a touch of sugar, just like our gyudon dish. To avoid the extra step of frying an egg and serving it atop the chicken, the beaten egg is placed directly over the chicken while it simmers, where it is steamed together with the rest of the ingredients.
It’s also extremely similar to the technique we use in our Katsudon Recipe, which is not surprising given that the two dishes belong to the same gastronomic “family.”
To make Japanese Oyakodon, all you need to do is cut up some chicken thighs (a trusted ally of the busy home cook) and throw them in the pan. You won’t even need breadcrumbs or oil to cook these.
A delicious, savory, and filling meal (Or lunch) is the end product. Or…breakfast. What can be prepared and cooked in 30 minutes (eggs, right)? It’s perfect for a night in with the TV on and your sweats on.
Since I normally eat it while wearing/watching those item(s).
You’re absolutely right, Oyakodon. Learn the recipe right here!
- 450g of skinless and boneless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large beaten eggs
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups of Steamed medium grain rice
- ⅔ cup of dashi stock
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of mirin
- Dashi stock, soy sauce, mirin, and sugar should be combined in a nonstick or cast-iron skillet and heated over medium-high heat. Do not let it boil over.
- Once the liquid boil, add the chicken and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Cook the chicken with the onion slices spread out for 2 minutes.
- Cover and cook for two to three minutes until the egg is set but still a little runny, after which you may pour it over the dish.
- Pile atop a bed of steaming rice and top with chopped scallions for a delicious meal.