Making a dish like Hamburger Fried Rice during the week is a breeze. A tasty supper can be made by combining ground beef, onions, frozen peas, and leftover rice. Sprinkle a fried egg with some sweet soy sauce and serve immediately. You just upped the ante on my hamburger fried rice by a few notches!
These days, a fried egg atop any dish seems to be the fashionable thing. My sisters and I used to cook eggs and put them on everything from kale and quinoa to avocado toasts. Their presence was always appreciated. When you bite into this hamburger fried rice, the runny egg mingled with the sweet soy sauce adds a burst of flavor, a contrast in textures, and a richness you won’t find anywhere else.
The nicest part is how quick and simple it is to put together. If you’re a busy parent or working professional, this is a much better and healthier alternative to Hamburger Helper that the whole family will enjoy.
Then let’s speak about your chances of success.
For the rice:
- 225g of ground beef
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium onion; diced
- 1 clove garlic; minced
- 1 scallion; chopped
- 4 cups of cooked white jasmine rice
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 3/4 cup of warm beef stock or water
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of mushroom flavored dark soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
Sweet soy sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of hot water
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Mix the beef stock (or water), soy sauces, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and black pepper together in a small bowl.
- After cooking, the rice can be fluffed using either a fork or your hands. Be as effective as you can in dispersing any clusters.
- Two tablespoons of vegetable oil should be used to coat the wok and heat until it begins to smoke. This hamburger fried rice benefits from being cooked in either a well-seasoned carbon steel wok or a nonstick pan, as the rice tends to stick otherwise.
- Ground beef should be stir-fried until it is browned and aromatic. Don’t go crazy shredding the hamburger meat. Small, tasty bits of ground beef can be served on the side of the rice. To that, we’ll be adding onions, minced garlic, and Shaoxing wine. Cook until the onions become transparent, reducing the heat to medium-high.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and stir in the ingredients. Use the sauce to scrape the last bits of meat from the bottom of the wok or pan. Then, after approximately a minute of stirring, add the rice and ensure it is well distributed throughout the dish. Tend the fire to high.
- After adding the peas, stir-fry in a scooping motion for another 2 to 4 minutes, or until the rice is heated.
- Then, transfer the rice to the serving dishes and mix in the scallions until they are evenly distributed throughout the rice. Use your wok or nonstick frying pan to fry the eggs. It’s up to you how you prepare the eggs, although we enjoy them both sunny-side up and over easy. The secret to a perfectly fried egg is to heat the pan to high temperatures before adding the oil and egg.
- While the egg is cooking, prepare the sweet soy sauce by dissolving the sugar in a mixture of 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 3 tablespoons of boiling water, and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Serve your hamburger fried rice with a fried egg and sweet soy sauce on the side.