Spicy garlic tofu can be made in just 10 minutes with minimal effort. The combination of the meat with the rice and the stir-fried vegetables is delicious.
It’s a spin on mapo tofu, a classic dish from Sichuan cuisine. This version, on the other hand, is highlighted by garlic and is relatively mild. We don’t use Sichuan peppercorns and instead add sweet hoisin sauce to our spicy bean sauce. And it’s simpler to whip up, too!
Advice on Spicy Garlic Tofu Cooking Recipes
Make sure the tofu is cubed to a size of .75 inches. If the cubes are too large, the tofu will absorb less sauce and taste bland. These delicate cubes may shatter if cut too small.
You can swap in ground chicken if you don’t eat pork. You can use finely chopped king oyster mushrooms or oyster mushrooms as an alternative to meat.
Before turning off the stove, ensure you have everything you need. Ready in no time at all!
- 10 cloves of thinly sliced garlic
- 4 oz. of ground pork
- 1 pound of firm tofu (3/4-inch/2 cm cubes)
- 1 chopped scallion
- 2 medium thinly sliced shallots
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of Shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch; mixed into a slurry
- 1 tablespoon of hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon of spicy bean sauce; doubanjiang
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Put some oil in a wok and get it hot over medium heat. Add the garlic and heat for 30 seconds until the edges turn golden.
- Stir fry the ground pork for a minute or two or until it has a browned appearance. Turn the burner up to high and throw in some shallots. Shallots need only a minute or two in the pan to start turning translucent.
- Cook for an extra 30 seconds after adding the Shaoxing wine, hoisin sauce, and spicy bean paste.
- Then, stir in the white pepper, sugar, and sesame oil, soaking in chicken stock. Make sure the sauce is at a low simmer. Cornstarch slurry should be combined and added to the sauce. The sauce should thicken after being simmered for 30 seconds.
- Add the cubed tofu and gently mix it in. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the scallions, and mix well before serving.