Make some Chinese steamed eggs, also called “wat don” or “slippery egg” in Cantonese, if you’re desperate for a dinnertime side dish but are out of everything else. Make some steamed eggs if you need something to warm you on a chilly day. If you don’t feel like preparing a fancy meal? The answer is, of course, that. Poached egg on toast.
Although it may seem counterintuitive, steaming eggs is a foolproof Chinese comfort food. It’s a breeze to whip up but gives the impression of extreme finesse and sophistication. It can be simple or elaborate, country or city chic. Both young eaters and the elderly can enjoy this meal.
Chicken stock was substituted for water because I wanted to increase the nutritional value and enhance the flavor. Vegetable stock is an excellent substitute if you’re trying to stick to a vegetarian diet. This steamed egg dish is ubiquitous in Chinese cuisine, and I’ve seen it prepared with everything from mushrooms and soy sauce to crab, chicken, and clams. The basic idea behind this Chinese steamed egg recipe is to make it your own by tailoring the preparation to your tastes.
- 3 eggs
- Chopped scallion
- Vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Put the contents of three eggs into a cup and read the volume. Eggs, salt, and at least a minute of beating time go into a large bowl. In order to prevent the eggs from cracking, add water to the bowl at the exact same volume as the eggs. Make the broth in the same way. Add the sesame oil and mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- Over high heat, put a steamer with four empty ramekins inside. When steaming, take care that the water doesn’t reach the rim of the ramekins. When the water to boils, reduce the heat to a low simmer. After that, use a fine mesh strainer to evenly distribute the egg mixture among the ramekins.
- Steam for 3 minutes with the lid on and the heat turned up high. After 3 minutes, remove the steamer from the heat but leave the lid on. Keep the lid on tight and wait 14 minutes.
- Take out of the steamer, top with scallions, and serve immediately.