As a child, my fondest memories were always around the dinner table, surrounded by my family, and indulging in our favorite dishes. One dish that always stood out was the comforting and heartwarming steamed eggs with crispy pork – a perfect combination of familiar flavors that never fail to bring a smile to my face.
It’s also fantastic for completing a multi-course meal. Scrambled steamed eggs on top of rice, greens, and a protein source make for a hearty meal.
But that’s not all; the crispy pork bits are a welcome contrast to the silky texture of the steamed eggs, making for a truly fantastic and delicious dish. You will eat it until it’s gone because you can’t resist it.
The recipe, please!
For the Meat & Marinade:
- 110g of ground pork
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 tablespoon of minced ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Shaoxing wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of dark soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
For the Egg Mixture:
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- vegetable or chicken stock (same volume as eggs)
- water (same volume as eggs)
- salt (to taste)
To Cook The Ground Meat:
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 finely of chopped scallion
Prepare the Marinade For The Ground Meat:
- Mix all the marinade ingredients into the ground meat. Keep stirring until all of the liquid has been absorbed by the meat. In the meantime, while you’re beating the eggs, marinate them for 15 to 20 minutes.
Combine The Eggs:
- Crack all three eggs into a liquid measuring cup and mentally note the volume. Eggs, salt, and at least a minute of beating time go into a large bowl.
- Add the same amount of water to the bowl using the measuring cup. Treat the stock the same way. Add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and whisk until the mixture is smooth and uniform.
- You should put a shallow heat-proof bowl in a steamer and set it over boiling water. Be sure that there is no way for any water in the steamer to rise to the top and touch the bowl as it cooks.
- After the water has come to a boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer. After that, use the strainer to transfer the egg mixture to the hot bowl.
- Steam the eggs for three minutes with the lid on and the heat turned up high. After three minutes, remove the steamer from the heat but leave the lid on. Keep the lid on tight and wait 14 minutes. Use this time to prepare the meat.
Brown the Meat:
- Prepare the wok by heating it until it smokes over high heat. Mix in 1 tablespoon of oil. Get rid of the marinade and crisp up the meat in a skillet over high heat. Give the meat a chance to brown and crisp without disturbing it too much.
- Remove from heat and mix in the finely chopped scallion. When the timer goes off, take the eggs out of the steamer, pile on the meat, and serve!