Whenever I see those unused green peppers in the fridge, I get excited to whip up a batch of Spicy Tofu Noodles With Chicken. These “noodles” made from sliced tofu are a guilt-free alternative to traditional noodles and the added protein from the spicy tofu and chicken makes it a satisfying and delicious meal.
In this case, a light hand is necessary when applying the peppers. Here you can see that I’ve noted that three peppers are needed for the dish. Five of them were simply sitting there doing nothing, so I decided to toss them all in. In terms of heat, it was fairly intense. My mother is big on the “just throw it all in” mindset. Therefore I grew up with that.
If you’re feeling adventurous, add extra peppers; if you’re not, swap in some sweet bell peppers.
- 2 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 3 sliced thinly long hot green peppers (seeds removed)
- 2 scallions (two-inch pieces)
- 1 package of tofu sheets (thin strips)
- 1 small chicken breast (thin strips)
- 2 tablespoons of shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons of soy sauce
- White pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Marinate the chicken in a small bowl with sesame oil, soy sauce, wine, and a few spins of a pepper mill. The garlic, peppers, and scallions should be prepared.
- The chicken should be seared in a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil over high heat in a wok. Remove from the wok and put to the side. Peppers should be added to the pan after adding a little oil.
- To soften the peppers, sauté them for a few minutes. Stir-fry for a few more minutes after adding the garlic and scallions.
- Stir-fry the chicken and tofu “noodles” for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is heated and the flavors melded. Serve!