Savor the comforting taste of soy milk soup with crispy fried dough and a mix of flavorful toppings. Learn how to make Soy Milk Soup with Fried Dough, an easy and delicious breakfast or brunch option.
Indeed, this dish has yet to be recognized by the general public with any prestigious awards. In contrast, when we used to visit a Shanghainese eatery for Sunday brunch, nearly everyone there would order a bowl of dou jiang to go with their scallion pancakes and soup dumplings.
Try this Soyajoy or Joyoung soy milk maker if you have trouble finding unsweetened soy milk. While our own Joyoung machine does the job admirably, the Soyajoy model is the clear favorite on Amazon. Dried soybeans can be purchased at any Asian grocery store. Get them soaked up and ready for the Soymilk maker first thing in the morning. Soy milk that’s hot and fresh is yours to enjoy in a matter of minutes. Here in China, we can get it from any shop, but back home in the States, that was how we manufactured it.
Now, onto the recipe!
- toasted chinese fried crullers (cut into slices)
- pickled mustard stems (zha cai)
- Unsweetened soy milk
- White pepper
- Sesame oil
- Chinese black vinegar
- chopped scallion
- Warm the soy milk up in a saucepan. Place some pickled radish and a few teaspoons of vinegar in a serving bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Soak for a minute in the hot soy milk without stirring.
- Add fried dough crumbs and chopped scallions for garnish.