As the weekend’s cleaning was underway, some leftover shrimp, mint, limes, and ripe avocados required immediate usage. With a stroke of culinary genius, I whipped up a recipe for delicious grilled mango shrimp tacos with mint guacamole that we recreated for the blog. Perfect for a relaxing summer evening or a blogging break, check out the recipe for these mouth-watering shrimp tacos!
For the Mint Guacamole:
- 2 large ripe avocados
- ½ of a small onion (chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1 pc. of holland chili or jalapeno (de-seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 lime (juiced and zested)
- 2 tbsp. of mint (chopped)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
For the rest of the dish:
- 1 ½ lb. of large shrimp (peeled, deveined, and pat dry with paper towels)
- 2 tsp. of chili powder
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1 lime (juiced)
- olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 5 pcs. of bamboo skewers (soaked in water for 30 minutes)
- 2 large mangoes
- 12 pcs. of small flour tortillas (grilled or warmed)
- 1 large tomato (chopped)
- 1/2 cup of cilantro (chopped)
- Lime wedges (to serve)
- Guacamole can be made by mashing avocados with the other ingredients in a bowl or by pulsing them all together in a blender or food processor. Don a plastic bag and put it away for later.
- Combine 2 teaspoons of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, lime juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, then toss with the shrimp.
- Stick the shrimp on the skewers and set them aside.
- Keeping the skin on the mangoes, cut the fruit in half lengthwise and remove the pit. In a grid pattern, cut the mango with your knife. Use olive oil to brush.
- Prepare an extremely hot grilling surface. Grill the shrimp (without moving them) for 3 minutes on one side. Grill for an additional minute after flipping. Caramelize the mangoes by grilling them for a few minutes on each side. Put the contents on a plate.
- Tacos can be assembled after the tortillas have been toasted or warmed. Each tortilla should have guacamole spread on it, then the shrimp, mango, tomato, and cilantro should be added on top.
- Add a half-or-full lime before serving.