Bask in the unique, sweet charm of our caramelized onion pasta, where onions are simmered to their sugar-rich brink, blanketing your palate with a rich, caramelized flavor. The dish harnesses the power of miso paste for umami, vegan cheese for a dash of saltiness, and pasta water for an exquisite, well-rounded sauce.
This vegan pasta is so easy to make, yet incredibly gratifying. To make this dish gluten-free, simply switch out the pasta with a gluten-free option.
Why I Adore This Pasta with Caramelized Onions?
To begin, caramelized onions are one of my favorite foods. Adding miso pasta boosts the dish’s umami, which is another reason I enjoy it so much. This spaghetti dish’s saltiness and richness come from adding vegan cheese.
It’s not difficult to whip up, and it tastes even better when made in large quantities to be shared.
- 1 large peeled and thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 tbsp of vegan butter or olive oil
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 lb of dry pasta spaghetti or linguine are great options
- 1/2 lb of thinly sliced mushrooms of choice
- 1/2 tbsp of vegan butter or olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp of white miso paste
- 1/4 cup of grated vegan parmesan or other cheese
- 1/2 cup of pasta water or more as needed
- Salt to taste
- Chopped parsley or basil
- Chili flakes
To make onions caramelize
- Prepare a large dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pan for medium heat. Vegan butter can be melted, or olive oil can be added. Throw in some onion slices. Caramelization should occur after 30–40 minutes of cooking at medium to medium-low heat, stirring every minute or so.
- To deglaze the pan midway through caramelizing the onions, add some water. A sprinkle of salt is optional.
- Take out the onions from the pot.
- In the meantime, boil some water.
- When the water boils, season it heavily and then add the pasta.
- Your pasta should be served al dente. Keep at least 1 cup of the pasta water aside.
- Vegan butter or olive oil can be melted in the same dutch oven or pan.
- Put the mushrooms in the mix. Over medium-high heat, prepare the mushrooms by browning all sides.
Finishing the Pasta
- Return the caramelized onions to the pan or pot and combine them with the mushrooms.
- Mix in the pasta water, vegan cheese, miso paste, salt to taste, and al dente pasta. Mix everything together until it forms a sauce thick enough to coat the pasta. You can add more salt or cheese to the spaghetti to your liking.
- Pepper flakes and fresh basil or parsley are optional garnishes. Consume quickly while still hot.