My version of the Coconut and Chili Kerabu Salad is fully raw, so it’s incredibly easy to prepare. It’s a great salad for grilled meat or fish, and it’s especially good with a creamy Southeast Asian curry.
We paused for a good lunch after a full day of eating Dim Sum in Chinatown’s Chowrasta market and superb roti canai in Little India’s Little India.
Minah was a traditional Malay restaurant where delicious cuisine was prepared and served buffet-style. We ate grilled fish with tamarind sauce, luscious beef rendang, Ulam salad with juicy cucumber and pineapple, and Kerabu, a fantastic beansprout salad at Minah.
It was crispy, spicy, and delectable, and it went well with the beef curry, soaking up all of the rich flavors. Because my version is entirely raw, it’s quite quick to prepare.
It goes well with any grilled event, and it’s especially good with a creamy Southeast Asian curry. Each serving of this meal has only 72 calories. I offer the following dishes for a healthy supper and a quick midweek dinner.
- 1/2 thinly sliced red onion
- 2 teaspoons coconut flakes
- 1 seeded and finely sliced red bell pepper
- a quarter-cup of bean sprouts
- 1/2 seeded and coarsely chopped red chili
- 1 small handful coarsely chopped mint leaves
- a quarter-cup of fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 inch (2 cm) piece peeled gingerroot
- In a large mixing basin, whisk together the fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar to make the dressing. Grate the gingerroot into a mixing dish, eliminating the fibrous parts, and thoroughly combine.
- Set aside 5 to 10 minutes after scattering the onion over the dressing and mixing thoroughly. This eliminates the onion’s rawness.
- While waiting, toast the coconut in a small pan over medium heat for half minute, make sure to toast and turn constantly, until it acquires a nice golden brown color. Place it on a dish and put it away.
- To make the salad, combine the red pepper, bean sprouts, red chile, and mint with the onion mixture and toss until thoroughly combined. Top with the toasted coconut, and serve right away.