This tofu avocado salad is vegan, healthy, and doesn’t need to be cooked. It has a tangy Asian dressing that you can change to your taste.
A Reason Not To Cook!
Even food bloggers get tired of cooking sometimes, which might surprise you. This is especially true when it’s hot outside, and I don’t want to turn on the stove or oven and heat the kitchen.
This tofu avocado salad is a quick and easy recipe that doesn’t require cooking. It is healthy (protein and healthy fats), but it’s also easy to make completely vegan. I love it as a side dish or as a light meal with steamed rice.
Customizing the Dressing
You can do what it says in the recipe. Or, you can also change it to suit your tastes and the ingredients you have on hand. This is how:
- Choose your “tangy” ingredient. I used Chinese black vinegar, but you could also use rice vinegar, white wine vinegar, lemon, lime, or yuzu.
- Change what makes it “umami”: You can use fish sauce, miso paste, oyster sauce, or Sha Cha sauce instead of (or in addition to) soy sauce. Just watch how much salt you’re taking in.
- Use different toppings. I used scallions here, but you could also use toasted sesame seeds, crushed peanuts, roasted seaweed (laver), pork sang, chili oil, etc.
I hope you’ll try this easy recipe! Enjoy!
- 7 ounces of silken tofu
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 grated cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 2 spoonful of light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 milliliter of Chinese black vinegar (can substitute rice wine vinegar, lime juice, yuzu, etc.)
- 1/4 milliliter of white pepper
- 2 teaspoons water salt (to taste; you may not need any)
- 1 finely chopped scallion
- Start by cutting your silken tofu into small squares with thin slices. Cut your avocado in half, as well. Cut it crosswise into thin slices, so the pieces are about the same size as the tofu slices. Place slices of silken tofu and avocado on a serving platter, so they are next to each other.
- Mix the chopped garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, vinegar, white pepper, water, and salt to taste in a small bowl. Carefully mix everything well, and pour the sauce over the tofu and avocado.
- Add chopped scallions on top and serve.