Although Georgia may dominate the peach industry, the Jersey crop holds its own. The inside is a stunning golden yellow, and the flavor reminds me of August with its sweet, nectar-like peach flavor.
We’ve been diligently coming up with peach dishes and inventive ways to use them, thanks to my mother’s $25 purchases of large boxes of peaches from our local farm.
Recently, I came up with a recipe for grilled peach crisps topped with yogurt. Caramelized, melty, and tender grilled peaches are a culinary delight. After a quick brushing with maple syrup, these skewers are ready for the grill or griddle. If you don’t like firing up the grill, a skillet or frying pan will do the trick.
A Simple Dessert That is Grilled and Has a Topping That is Baked Separately
What makes these crisps unique is that they are not roasted in the oven like a conventional peach crisp. As a result of grilling the peaches, I have to bake the crumble topping on its own.
Although it sounds counterintuitive, baking just the topping in the oven results in a texture reminiscent of oatmeal cookies. These grilled peach crisps, which feature a granola mix for added crunch, are a textural and flavorful symphony. While I find that yogurt pairs very well with grilled peaches, you could also use ice cream.
- 4 pitted and halved peaches
- 2 cups of plain yogurt
- ½ cup of granola
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons of softened butter
- 3 tablespoons of divided maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Prepare a 350-degree oven. Flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans should be mixed together in a medium bowl. To make a crumbly, gritty texture, incorporate the butter and stir until combined. The crumble is baked after being spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Put it in the oven and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- After ten minutes, take the granola out of the oven and mix it with the rest of the crumble ingredients. Set aside.
- Apply maple syrup to the sliced edges of your peaches. Caramelize them and get excellent grill marks on both sides by grilling them over high heat in a grill or a grill pan that has been coated with olive oil.
- Scoop roughly half a cup of yogurt into a serving bowl. Arrange two peach halves on top of the crumble mixture. If you choose, serve with a drizzle of maple syrup.