Finding a package of preserved radish, or luóbo gān, at the Chinese supermarket inspired me to share this recipe for Stir-Fried Eggs with Preserved Radish on my food blog.
If your background includes Hakka people, this may be a dish that reminds you of home.
Fancy Eggs For Dinner? You Can Have Them Anytime with This Recipe
Though we typically associate eggs with breakfast in the United States, this dish is equally at home at either meal.
The preserved radish gives this Hakka-style stir-fried egg dish a salty, savory crunch that is both addicting and delicious. That’s why rice porridge, which is a great taste carrier, is a common accompaniment.
Hakka cuisine can only be described as delicious. Although this may not be the most perceptive assessment, it is true that Hakka cooks are experts in maximizing taste in even the most basic dishes by combining textures, using preserved or sour ingredients, or some combination of the three.
Most people, including me, would agree that Hakka cuisine is a fantastic Chinese cooking style.
- 4 large beaten eggs
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 1 finely chopped scallion
- 1/3 cup of chopped preserved radish
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground white pepper
- It is recommended to rinse the pickled radish several times in order to remove part of the salt. It’s important to taste to make sure it’s not too salty. Put the drain in the sink and let it run for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the scallions and garlic by chopping them very coarsely. After the pickled radish has drained, cut it very finely.
- Mix the white pepper, sesame oil, and chopped scallion into four beaten eggs.
- Get your wok smoking by heating it over medium heat. One tablespoon of oil, some garlic, pickled radishes, and sugar. Then, stir the other ingredients and cook for 1 minute over medium heat. Don’t let the garlic become too toasted.
- Roughly pile the radishes in the wok and drizzle in the extra 2 tablespoons of oil. Place beaten eggs on top of the pickled radish. Cook the eggs over a medium flame to be set but still soft. Combine with rice porridge.