Elevate Your Evening with Charred Shishito Peppers
Tossing Shishito peppers sprinkled with sea salt onto a hot pan? Oh, it’s like casting a culinary spell. As they get that hint of char, these little wizards of taste amp up your evening drink in a jiffy.
A Delightfully Quick Appetizer
The beauty of Shishito peppers lies in their simplicity. Once they’re heated to perfection, they can be adorned with just a sprinkle of sea salt, a rich drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar, or a zesty mixture of lemon juice and honey. And, with Shishito peppers becoming increasingly available, it’s a joy to note that they’re now more affordable than before. I still recall them being priced at $7.95 a pound a few years back, but my recent purchase? An 18-ounce bag for just $4.99!
However, here’s a fun twist: while Shishito peppers are generally mild, every once in a while, you might encounter one with a fiery spirit. This unpredictability adds an exciting element to your dining experience, but do give your guests a gentle heads-up! Planning a gathering? These peppers might just be the talk of your New Year’s Eve soirée.
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons of light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 4 ounces of Shishito peppers (115g, ensure they’re clean and dried)
- Optional: 2 teaspoons of Balsamic vinegar
- Coarse sea salt (season as per your taste)
How to Prepare
- Start by infusing your oil: in a mortar and pestle, combine garlic and oil. Crush the garlic slightly – the goal here isn’t to form a paste but to let the garlic essence meld with the oil.
- Next, place a sauté pan or wok on medium-high heat. Pour in the garlic-oil mixture, ensuring the crushed garlic pieces remain in the mortar to avoid them burning.
- Lay the Shishito peppers evenly on the pan, ensuring each one makes contact with the surface. Sear each side until they showcase a lovely golden hue. Regularly toss and turn them until their entire surface is blistered, taking about 6 to 8 minutes in total.
- For those who enjoy a deeper char on their peppers, ramp up the heat for the last 30 seconds.
- Finish off by seasoning the peppers with a generous pinch of coarse sea salt. Toss them well, place them on a serving dish, and optionally drizzle with balsamic vinegar. A final sprinkle of sea salt, and they’re ready to be devoured!
Besides their tantalizing taste, Shishito peppers pack a nutritional punch. They are rich in Vitamin C, which can bolster your immune system and improve skin health. Additionally, peppers are known for their potential metabolism-boosting properties. So, with each bite, you’re not just indulging your taste buds, but also gifting your body a dose of wellness. Delightful to taste and loaded with health benefits – it’s truly a win-win! Enjoy responsibly and savor the moments of togetherness these peppers bring.